Thursday, August 18, 2011

Untold beauty


August 17, 2011
Today I had one of the most incredible experiences of my life.  We went to Kakum National Rainforest. Upon arrival, you have to hike this intense set of cobblestone stairs.  The stairs take you to the canopy level.  That is where my breath was taken away.


  








It is hard to describe in words the beauty that is held in the greens, blues, yellows, and browns of the rainforest.  You are surrounded by lushness everywhere you look.  It is an entirely different perspective to be essentially floating within it.  The ropes hold up planks that connect from tree to tree.  While the course is only 350 meters long, it is 350 meters of breathtaking views and sounds.  I still can’t believe that I did it.  You are up so high, you wonder how you are even managing it, looking down isn’t the best idea, but you just can’t help yourself.  I wish that everyone could see something like this at one point in his or her life.  It puts a lot of things into perspective.

On a side note from the wonder, I found a tree in the forest that looks and awful lot like the Lorax trees in the Dr. Seuss book.  I am very curious whether or not Theodore Geisel visited Kakum before working on that book.


After Kakum, we took the long drive back to Accra and the Afia.  More to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment