Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ghanaian Funeral

August 6, 2011
On weekends we don’t have our regular classes.  This gives us time for excursions and other classes we don’t normally have time for.   I chose to take Batik making.  Batik is a type of cloth that is dyed in various ways.  I worked with a wax print to create a pattern on my fabric.  The symbol I chose means unity.  Some people chose to use other techniques like marbling, folding, and spinning.  I made my fabric entirely purple except for the wax.  I am hoping to make a skirt out of it. 


This afternoon we went to our first Ghanian funeral.  Let me tell you, we need to use some of these traditions!  They celebrate the life of the person by throwing a big party.  Everyone dresses in traditional wraps and dances Agbajah.

Left: Allie and I were twins in our wraps as we stood in the gazebo before we left for the funeral ceremony.

Below: Tara and I get ready to dance before walking into the funeral.















We learned this dance during our libation ceremony on the first day at Dagbe.   While we were there, we saw hundreds of people dancing and singing, some playing drums.  Many of us were invited to dance with them.  It was a great time.  We were all soaking wet from a combination of rain and sweat, but it was a beautiful celebration.  They carry the casket through the crowd of dancers lead by a brass and drum band.  At the end, they lower the casket and fire off gunshots. 

 Below: I danced with a lot of the local people during the ceremony, this woman had me dance with her several times!


Dinner was a whole new experience.  Ghana meets America.  We had yam fries and chicken.  This of course launched another discussion of what foods we miss dearly.   Please read the next post for our list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment